Pages

Sunday, 9 November 2008

The control freak's Christmas.

Firstly, I love Christmas. But in a low-key, back-to-basics, quality-not-quantity kind of way. I don't want to be confronted with Christmas cards in the shops before I go my summer holiday. I don't want to go into Poundland in the first week of November to be confronted with "Stop The Cavalry" on repeat.

What I do love is....spending Christmas with the people who mean the most to me, doing what we really want to do.

I am lucky enough to be in a situation where I avoid overspending and subsequent months of debt-hell, because the most important people in my life share my view that Christmas can, and should, be done on a budget, whilst still ensuring that everyone gets what they really really want.

This Christmas - just over six weeks to go, folks! - it's going to be even more low-key than ever. For reasons known only to myself and close chums, I'm not going to the office Christmas lunch, and subsequently have withdrawn from the annual Secret Santa ritual. Secret Santa is, of course, that thing when you pick someone's name out of a hat and buy them a Christmas gift, putting some thought into it and making sure that it's something they would like to receive. Over the years I've been lucky with what I've received so it's not as if I'm carrying any grudge or whatever: I just decided to take a year out of it.

Presents list is now compiled and all I have to do is buy them.

Yes, I may be an easy-going enthusiastic kind of girl, but underneath this exterior lurks a control freak, spurred into action....!

1 comment:

Raquelita said...

It's funny you should mention Poundland- I went in there on Tuesday and they were playing Slade.I couldn't believe it! I felt really thankful to be living in Germany away from Premature Christmas,only to come back a day later and find all the shops are full of glitter and tacky stuff.There was even a giant Christmas tree in Flensburg yesterday :(