Pages

Wednesday, 27 May 2009

I know why they call it 'breaking in a pair of shoes'

The 'breaking' bit refers to the effect on your feet. Not literally (thank goodness) but the whole 'Achilles Heel' thing is so true for me, as every new pair of shoes results in a gaping, bleeding big circle at the back of each ankle :(

My poor little overworked feet have taken a lot over the years. Because I walk to and from work, not to mention everywhere else, I wear out a lot of soles and have to replace my shoes rather a lot, which means the 'breaking in' ritual is a frequent, and painful, thing.

And just as the shoes are getting comfortable....the soles wear out! Ha!

We're not allowed to wear trainers in the office, so can I wear slippers to work tomorrow? Pretty please?

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

I have the same problem,but thankfully living in Paris means I don't have to walk everywhere these days.Though going up and down my 152 steps with my new trainers that feel like they're made of concrete is starting to get a little bit uncomfortable :)

Have you tried putting Vaseline on the bit of the shoe that rubs,and leaving it overnight?Mother tells me it softens the shoe up and makes it less painful,although I haven't tried.Maybe I should.

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

I'll need to try that! At this stage anything is worth a try :)

This week my supervisor has also got the same problem, she's been breaking in new shoes and we're comparing cut heels and sharing the box of plasters!