Pages

Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Well, hello 2013!

But firstly, we had the unfinished business of closing the story of 2012. As usual, the Hogmanay tradition of a meal with faithful travelling companion at our favourite local Cantonese restaurant, followed by a couple of Kopparbergs pear ciders at Wetherspoons.

The days of staying up all night after the bells are now long gone: these days, staying power is in very short supply so I retired very early to listen to Radio Five Live for a while and then it was lights out just after 1.00 am. Living life on the edge eh!!!


I finished work on Christmas Eve and have been on holiday since then: it's been a brilliant, relaxing time but all good things have to come to an end.  Talking of which, the dismantling of the EuropeCrazy HQ Christmas tree (pictured above) ceremony also took place today.  It's like the closing ceremony of the Olympics, only without the flag being lowered, or a speech from Seb Coe, or numerous rotten musical performances.  (Although with regard to the latter, we did have a 'top tunes of 2012' show playing on one of the music channels: insert witty remark here...!)

Tomorrow is the last day of my Christmas and New Year leave and then it's back to work on Thursday :(  I feel completely unwound, but no doubt that feeling will be short-lived once Thursday morning comes!

As ever, I got my hopes up for the sales but only Boots and Matalan delivered: I'm sorted for bath stuff, perfume and cut-price knitwear for the rest of the year :)

Over the past 6 months I lost my dieting-mojo and the weight-gain went out of control.  As usual, the shops are full of fitness DVDs and the newspapers are full of the usual old 'new year, new you'-style rubbish. Yes I absolutely do need to lose weight and get fit, but this year however I'm flying solo on the dieting front and not following any official weight-loss plan: only the EuropeCrazy Frank Sinatra "I Did It My Way" diet and exercise plan between now and the end of April.  No crash diets here folks: just a sustained period of healthy eating and sensible exercise, punctuated by the good things in life - this time of the year is dark and depressing enough without denying yourself some treats!  I will only weigh myself on the last day of every month, so check back here on 31st January for a progress report. 

So what's ahead in 2013?  Well, it's an odd-numbered year so there's no Olympics and no summer football tournament to distract us: let's just hope that the weather is better this year so that there will be lots of exciting adventures to write about over the summer months. And then there's the small matter of our spring and summer holidays to plan :)))))

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

Happy New Year! Love all the colours on the tree.I got my way this year and we had Scandi-style red and white hearts all over the place.Not looked at the Matalan sale yet,hope I've not missed out already!

Any idea where you're going this year? Me and Keira want to go to Iceland at some point.I'm hoping to find Jonsi and lure him into a cave like Greta does in the video.

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

And a very Happy New Year to you too Rachel! Not for us Christmas trees with "colour schemes" ha ha. Some of the baubles date as far back as the 1970s and 1980s and we've formed a bit of a sentimental attachment to them. I like that Scandi hearts idea though.

The Matalan sale was OK although it's a bit depressing when the racks are mainly full of 8s and 10s.

All things being well, we're aiming for two holidays but as usual there are so many destinations to choose from. No decisions yet, but I'll let you know as soon as we've made up our indecisive minds. Hope you and Keira make it to Iceland! I'm actually off to Iceland tomorrow, although sadly it's only the supermarket and not the real thing. Sadly no Jonsi lookalikes there either.