Pages

Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Sc-hot-land!

And before you ask, this isn't going to be one of those posts complaining about how hot it is (but just a tiny, tiny request - could you please turn the temperature down to about 21/22?).

Compared to the last couple of years, we've actually had quite a decent last few weeks which probably constitutes "summertime".  From May into late June, the sun remembered to come out, the rain actually remembered to go off, and the temperatures were just perfect - for us, that would be the 21/22 degrees as stated above.

Then we were plunged into winter again, and even had to resort to central heating.  In June!

In recent days however, the real hot summer has arrived, with temperatures heading up to 30 degrees.  Now regular readers will know that Scotland is not known for its good weather - a "good spell" is two dry days in a row. So as you can imagine, it doesn't take much for all the "weeds" to come out - and I'm not just talking about my much-neglected back garden here - as the parade of fashion disasters hits the streets.  I'm still in a state of trauma from the guy with the 9 months pregnant belly and the dangerously low-slung shorts who was walking in front of me all the way down the road on the way home yesterday.

Being the pale-skinned impersonation of a milk bottle that I am, I take the same precautions at home as I do abroad: cover up and slap on the factor 50+.  So please excuse me if I don't want to join in the sun-worshipping.  But a few more weeks of dry, reasonably warm weather, would do nicely.

1 comment:

Raquelita said...

I was saying to my friend (who lives in Wales) yesterday that everyone in Maidstone is dressed like they're going on the next flight to Benidorm and that you can't move for maxi dresses.It takes a lot for me to remove my cardigan,but I've had to do it a few times this week and I don't like it!

Actually it isn't the heat so much that bothers me,it's the mosquitos and other flying things.My left ankle is absolutely huge today thanks to one of the little sods biting me at the weekend :(