You will probably have read my post over at EuropeCrazy about my mum, but I also want to post some stuff on here over the next few days as it is really helping me get through this most difficult of weeks. Even if she was a technophobe and never really quite understood blogging or social media, mum was fascinated with my blogging hobby and was very impressed that I had made some lovely friends all over the world because of it.
My mum's organisational skills ensured that every area of her life was taken care of. A few years ago, she told me that she had written a letter which was not to be opened until she was no longer with me. Yesterday, whilst gathering paperwork to register her death, I found that letter and finally plucked up the courage to open it.
Yet I needn't have worried. For it was filled with words of hope, encouragement and inspiration, not in a sickly emotional way (she hated that kind of stuff!) but also filled with love and humour and the plain-speaking honesty that was her trademark. My mum was very "matter-of-fact" and in the letter she went on to leave me a lot of helpful instructions and advice, not just for now but for the longer term. I have read this letter numerous times over the past 2 days, and it never fails to comfort me.
Today I began the process of arranging the funeral, although for various bureaucratic reasons the arrangements won't be confirmed until Monday. Tomorrow I will make some more phone calls to update friends and family, but tonight I'm ensuring that I'm having a night of "me time", catching up with my telly backlog, having a couple of glasses of wine and then watching some YouTube clips later on. The way Saturday night always was.....
No comments:
Post a Comment