Pages

Tuesday, 24 November 2015

I'm going solo. Oh no you're not! Oh yes I am!

You will have guessed by the title of this post that it's panto season - oh yes it is!  And even if much of the Christmas hype leaves me cold, then there is one particular Christmas ritual which was always the exception: a trip to a pantomime.  That was always my "big day out" with mum. But this Christmas, as with about 99.9% of everything else in my life, it's going to be different.  For I am going to do something which is either brave or crazy or for many people is probably just a no-no.

For I have decided that I'll be going to a panto on my own, over the festive season.  (And don't worry, all is well with faithful travelling companion but 1) panto's not his thing and 2) he has other commitments on my panto day).

It's very sad that society seems to dictate these 'norms' that everything should be done as a couple, a group or a family.  Perhaps those who dictate these norms are maybe just uncomfortable in their own company.  Why shouldn't you go somewhere on your own?  Why should we be denied the right to enjoy entertainment just because we're unaccompanied? There are reasons why - even if we do have someone to go to the theatre with - it's not always possible to hang out with them on a particular day. (Talking of which, apart from the panto, I will be going to another theatre show before Christmas, again on my own).

My mum had a very refreshing "f***-it" attitude to a lot of things: she was so unconventional in so many ways and I guess that's one part of her personality which I'm glad to have inherited.  And even though it's a daily struggle to adjust to living alone, perhaps I've gathered some strength and courage too as I grow more and more used to my own company.  So although it will probably be difficult, walking into that theatre on my own, when the lights go down, it doesn't matter who you are or who you're with.  And as for filling those awkward minutes during the interval, I've got a survival strategy for that too - oh yes I have! - yay for mobile phones and wi-fi :)))

No comments: