Another of Walkers' "limited edition" ranges of new crisps flavours have been on sale for the past couple of months.
As a result of last year's special editions, they brought back Beef and Onion crisps, to deafening cheers here at EuropeCrazy HQ as that has always been my favourite flavour (after Cheese and Onion).
I always enjoy trying out these limited editions although they are inevitably always frustrating as a) they don't always taste like you expect, and b) they inevitably leave you feeling disappointed.
But what about 2016's limited edition range? Well, they've gone with a sandwich-themed range of crisp flavours based on popular sandwich fillings. Or "sarnies" as they are often called in England - although we don't call a sandwich a "sarnie" in Scotland, we call it a "piece"! So on this occasion I thought I would "give piece a chance" (groan) although as a confirmed crispaholic whose crisp addiction has been the main factor in taking up residence in the obese section of the BMI scale, I should really be seriously reducing my crisp intake. Yes, I know. But it's a limited edition, and I just had to try them, in the interest of research, you understand :))
To try out all the flavours you need to buy the two different multipacks on sale.
Cheese Toastie and Worcester Sauce
Of course I'm a cheese-a-holic so this was my first pick to try out. Unfortunately the cheese flavour doesn't really come through, however there is a definite "vinegary" taste which is probably the added Lea and Perrins flavour.
Ham and Mustard
I had high hopes for this. If you've ever tasted the hardcore joy of Brannigans Roast Beef and Mustard flavour crisps (5 for £1 in Poundland) then you'll be aware of the power of mustard flavouring.
Here, however, all you will find is blandness. The ham flavour is just not strong enough and the mustard flavour is barely there. You'd be better off just going and buying a bag of smoky bacon instead.
Cheese, Cucumber and Salad Cream
On paper, the most potentially gross-sounding of the group turns out to actually achieve its goal. For this has an overwhelming taste of a salad topped with a big dollop of salad cream. The cheese flavour is non-existent, but you can definitely taste the salad cream. I'm no fan of salads, but this is more authentic than most of the flavours.
Sausage and Brown Sauce
Again, potential for greatness here with the combination of meaty and saucy flavours. It certainly has the strongest flavour of all the bags I tried but the brown sauce completely overwhelms the sausage flavour which you can hardly taste at all.
Roast Chicken and Mayonnaise
A pretty pointless combination - just buy a packet of roast chicken instead. Although there is a definite 'creaminess' added to the mix. The jury is still out on this one.
And finally....
Bacon and Tomato Ketchup
Didn't try these purely due to my hatred of a) tomato ketchup and b) tomato flavoured crisps.
My conclusion: sorry Walkers, but this is yet another pointless exercise. I couldn't really see any of these flavour combinations working in the longer term.
Now after eating all those crisps, I need to go on another diet.....!





No comments:
Post a Comment