When my interest in blogging took off a couple of years ago, the one thing which seemed to suffer was my interest in reading. I've got some well-stocked bookshelves with lots of great books - almost exclusively in the humorous travel writing genre which Bill Bryson pioneered back in the day - but most of them are still begging to be read.
On the first of my two trips to Dublin last year, I spotted "Ruinair" by Irish writer Paul Kilduff, which is yet another one of those funny travel-related books, this time about the writer's experiences of travelling on a certain well-known airline. I didn't buy it at the time and looked for it during my second trip but couldn't find it.
It's now been published in the UK though and faithful travelling companion came to the rescue and bought it for me as part of my Valentine's Day presents. (Awww) anyway I started reading it the other night - great book, full of cheeky sarcastic wit and if you've ever flown on that airline you'll nod your head in agreement, that's when you're not laughing out loud.
So as part of my 2009 campaign for a healthy body and healthy mind - which involves 'lights out' at midnight during the week (yep. boring), I'm heading off now to read another chapter before bedtime.
4 comments:
hi i am glad you like the book so far! best wishes paul, dublin!
Ooh,this sounds good,I'll have to look out for it.Or rather,get mother to look out for it,buy it for me and send it to France :)
Travel books are probably my favourite type- I've got one here called "Always Feel a Friend" by *streches neck giraffe style to see bookshelf*...Peter Biddlecombe.I'd never heard of him before but apparantly he's written quite a few amusing books.If I ever get round to reading it I'll let you know if it's any good,if you haven't read it already that is :)
Paul - having a starstruck-celebrity-author-visits-my-blog-moment here!!! Thanks for visiting. As a seasoned Ruinair traveller I'm loving the book so far and definitely relating to it from my own experiences.. but I just keep coming back for more, as I'm flying with them again in 8 weeks time!!
Rachel - I don't have this book and hadn't heard of it so I checked it out on Amazon. He's writing about those kind of exotic places which appeal to faithful travelling companion, so I think it would appeal to him whereas I'm a bit more European in my travel tastes :)
21 February 2009 23:23
Post a Comment