Pages

Sunday, 15 March 2015

Blogging for life

Last Wednesday, my first born blog EuropeCrazy celebrated its 8th birthday.

I could never have imagined all those years ago where blogging would take me: that through it I would find new friends who share my interests, something which is virtually impossible in the 'real' world; that it would give me confidence to write about the things I loved; and that I would end up going on to produce three blogs and meet my all-time favourite singer twice.

The last 8 years of my blogging life have also been an accurate reflection of my real life: the glory days from 2007 to 2010, and the downward spiral from 2011 onwards.  With little exceptions (relationships, holidays and Eurovision) it would be fair to say that since the end of 2010, life has been pretty crap.  I get frustrated at not having the time or energy to blog more. I'm 8 years older, the demands of day to day life are often overwhelming, everything has just become tougher to deal with, and my time is more limited than ever.    

Yet the alternate-reality of blogging has always provided an escape from the 'real world'.  That was why I initially started EuropeCrazy, to give myself an outlet to write about my interests, about all the things which no-one else in my daily life knew or cared about.  Perhaps now, more than ever, I need that again.

The one thing I am sure of is that blogging is now such a part of my life that I cannot imagine it not being there.  It has not just become a fad or a temporary hobby - it's as much a part of me as everything else in my life and therefore I can't see it as anything other than a lifetime commitment. And for those who think blogging belongs to the past with the rise of Twitter, Facebook, vlogs, Instagram etc, then there is still a lot of life left in the blogging hobby all over the world if these statistics are anything to go by: http://aci.info/2014/12/27/the-state-of-blogging-in-2014/

So I'm in it for the long haul! :)

No comments: