On Thursday I went to my usual favourite local hairdresser at lunchtime for my occasional haircut. Nothing unusual there, but this time I went for something a bit more drastic than usual. For most of my adult life I have had long hair, varying in length from just below the shoulder to waist-length, apart from a few years ago when I had all my hair cut into a spiky crop for a couple of years. Around that time there seemed to be this notion that "you shouldn't have long hair when you are getting older". But I was only in my mid-30s at the time, but looking back now, it's strange that I should have thought that way.
As the years went on I firmly believed that short hair was not me. Long hair is versatile, you can style it and wear it a number of ways. But it can also be hard to manage, and when "the change" comes along you are faced with a new challenge - head sweats and soaking hair. It's uncomfortable, and embarrassing when sweat is pouring out of your head, down your face, running into your eyes and making your eye make-up run. Looking around I now understand why so many women of my own age and older are all walking around with short hair.
On Thursday I sat in the chair in the salon and surprised my stylist with a different request from the usual. This time round it's not the spiky crop of years ago. I have never been a fan of the 'bob' haircut - it does look nice on some people but it's not really for me. So asking for a layered bob was a new departure and a big risk. But I dismissively chuckled "it's only hair!" as I sat in that chair watching strands of my long hair cascading to the floor. My hair grows quickly, so at least if I don't like this style then it won't be long until it turns into something more my taste.
I returned to work where my drastic new hairstyle was very well-received. They seem to be more enthusiastic about it than I am. Yes, it is a very good haircut, but, well, it's just not me. I think it makes me look older as well (although I met someone in the street the other day who exclaimed "it takes years off you!"). It's early days, but I can't see myself sticking with this hairstyle in the longer term, so I'm going to grow it out a bit and see what that looks like. Anyway I'm not going to worry about it. After all, it's only hair.
No comments:
Post a Comment