Sunday, 18 December 2016
It's beginning to look a lot like chaos
This past week hasn't been the best. Firstly, my boiler broke down at the start of the week. As if that wasn't bad enough, my insomnia made a comeback and my sleep routine was seriously disrupted. So then I sat down to write my Christmas cards for posting, only to discover that my address book has been misplaced, and still not found, causing a great deal of stress. Although I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of people have lost my address as well, as there has been a very minimal amount of cards dropping through the letterbox...!
Then yesterday, right on cue, I took my annual festive season cold which usually makes an appearance every year, either before/during/after Christmas. My throat is on fire and I'm feeling decidedly under par today. Bad timing, as there is still so much to do. I still need to find that address book, and I want to start wrapping presents before the end of the day.
Last week wasn't all bad though. I went to the office Christmas lunch for the first time in about 3 or 4 years and ended up not only enjoying it very much, but also staying on for a little while afterwards for a nice relaxing chat afterwards with a smaller group of friends/colleagues.
When you don't go to anything, people often misinterpret this as being "anti-social". It is hard to explain social anxiety and introversion to people who don't understand it. For some people, party nights are the highlight of the year. For me, they are a danger zone of noise, anxiety, fear and over-stimulation, and that's why I avoid them. My ideal social environment is spending time with a small group in a more relaxed situation where you can hear yourself talk and think.
When faced with living on my own, I never thought I would enjoy sitting in silence. I thought I'd always have to fill they days and nights with background noise, to fill the void of mum not being there. What I didn't imagine was that I would end up treasuring peace and quiet. Particularly at this time of year, when the stresses of day-to-day life seem to soar. Talking of which, I'm off to search for that address book...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment