Pages

Tuesday, 3 January 2017

2017: the blank pages

I always get quite excited at the start of a new year: it's a new series of blank pages to be written on. And after all...surely nothing can be worse than 2016?  But then the realistic part of me takes over. The world is still the same place.  Trump is still going to be president of the USA.  Brexit is still going to happen.  In much of Europe, and indeed in our own country, the UK, fascism - give it all the new names you like, but it's still fascism - presents a genuine threat. Terrorism is now a fact of life in all parts of the continent and beyond.  The world is basically f****d and there is little to be positive about.  In 2016, a great number of famous people also passed away; many of them were "too young to die" and it particularly made you think about your own mortality.

2016 was a horrible year in so many ways and on a personal note it was topped by an unexpected and heartbreaking close family bereavement, during a time when I was still struggling to cope with the loss of my mum.  In 2016 I sunk into a very deep depression which resulted in a binge eating disorder.

However....

Life goes on.

A few days ago, at the end of that dreadful year, I made a promise to myself that I should now focus on the positive aspects of life and count my blessings.  Life is too short, and so I am going into a new year with these positive thoughts.

MY REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL....

  • I am still alive.
  • I continue to have a wonderful relationship with the man who is the love of my life.
  • I am reasonably healthy (obesity excepted, although I'm planning to tackle that...!).
  • I have a good job which I still enjoy doing after all these years and being in employment enables me to travel and visit places which I would otherwise not get the chance to see. 
  • I have a nice home which remains a 'work in progress' but which I will continue to improve as the year progresses.
  • I have this wonderful blogging hobby and my occasional presence on Twitter which has enabled me to get to know so many lovely people. 
In an increasingly dark world, happiness is a rare quantity and should be treasured.  I hope that you all find some kind of happiness over the year ahead and that you make the most of your life, your health and your loved ones.  So I would like to wish the readers of this and my other blogs a very happy and healthy new year filled with love, happiness and good times :)

Oh, and the diet starts tomorrow....!

No comments: