It's Christmas Eve today, I've been on holiday from work yesterday and today, with a mixture of housework, relaxation and naturally some seasonal overindulgence. This morning I placed the presents under the tree, and what a nice array they are too. Tonight I'll have my traditional visit from Santa (who looks suspiciously like faithful travelling companion) and we will exchange our presents. Just a normal Christmas Eve then.
Only it's not. For it is another one of those milestones. My first Christmas without my mum. I was dreading it, but surprisingly I am getting through it. Why? Well, because along with all the love and kindness she gave me, she also instilled the self-sufficiency and resilience which were a very strong aspect of her personality - and which she also inherited from her mother. It's those qualities which have kicked in over the past few months and enabled me to deal with the unbearable grief and loss, and also given me the strength to get on with life. In the same way that my mum did after my gran died. Because that's what we do: it is our own way of grieving. Life goes on, and it is to be lived.
We all grieve in different ways, but we still grieve. Because there isn't a minute of the day when I don't think about her. There isn't a moment when I don't miss my best friend. We had so much fun together. I miss the laughs, and the daft nonsense, the swearing-like-a-trooper at the TV, and of course her love-hate relationship with the Eurovision Song Contest. There is just this constant emptiness and a feeling of "going through the motions". But I am adjusting to living on my own, slowly but surely. New memories are to be made.
But maybe the reason that I don't feel so alone is that I still feel her spirit, her presence here with me. And when I have a good day, I tell her. When I have a bad day, I tell her that too. And tomorrow - Christmas Day - I will be going out with faithful travelling companion and his mum for Christmas dinner; a new happy memory to be made. And there's plenty of other things to keep me going over the next few days - blogging, tweeting and watching foreign telly to name three. And with Twitter, I'm never alone :)
Among the many sympathy cards I received in the summer, one particularly stood out as it had a poem which particularly resonated with me. It made me cry floods but it also made me smile too, because every word is so true and I have revisited it many times and taken so much comfort from it over the past 5 months. And it has helped me to work through my own grief, and helped me to understand that it is ok to smile, and laugh, for she will always be alive in my heart. If you are reading this post, I hope you can take comfort from this poem too.

No comments:
Post a Comment