I didn't do a recap last week as it was a total write-off: I had a bit of a pain-relapse after my fall, so the gym was a non-starter. And then it was Eurovision week, so everything else had to wait!
I started building up my fitness again at home and the pain eased off enough for my long-awaited return to the gym at the start of this week. Since I always feel very tired when I come home from work, my bright idea was to go to the gym first thing in the morning, before going to work. That originally sounded quite ambitious but it worked for me. Even at 7.30 am, the fitness fanatics are pounding the treadmill, or giving it the full Sir Bradley Wiggins on the exercise bikes, and as for the weight-training area....well the less said the better. Then this out-of-shape, unfit, middle-aged woman walks into the room, and she just feels like a square peg in a round, super-fitness-shaped hole. But everyone has to start somewhere. I quickly turned my fear into this aloof gym persona, where I just walked through the door with my head held high, and my iPod on, with a "gym playlist" packed full of 'dance bangers', ready to tackle my half-hour workout.
I repeated my early morning visit on Thursday morning, and by then my confidence had increased a little, although I still feel uncomfortable entering the weight-training area....anyway that didn't put me off the shoulder press and leg curl machines. My favourite at the moment is the leg press, because I'm trying to build up strength in my legs and reduce the constant pain which has been a side-effect of that huge weight gain of the past couple of years.
Apart from the gym visits, I was back into dieting-mode this week, so what could go wrong? Well, I gained weight. Half a pound to be precise. Which I'm really not too bothered about, it's only half a pound. So we'll call it muscle mass :)
No comments:
Post a Comment